A great first full day at the SMX / eMetrics Marketing Optimization summit in Toronto, Canada!
Some of Avinash’s Valuable Comments at SMX / eMetrics Toronto 2010
For those that could not attend here are some notes from day’s opener Avinash Kaushik.
Understand The Metrics Available On Your Website
- No one really has private data. Compete is a site that anyone can go to and receive data and compare against any competitor at any time. Avinash was really showing off the paid version.
- Don’t ‘puke’ data. In other words, if you are an Analytics consultant or the lead on analyzing data, don’t overburden those you are reporting to with so much data that they data means nothing. Instead understand what the goal of your analytics reporting is, discover the most important metrics that can report to this goal and display them cleanly.
- Use keyword clouds to ensure that what you think your website is saying to search engines and visitors is accurate in pure data form. Specifically, Avinash mentioned the use of Juice Analytics to really get detailed information in minutes.
- Understand who and what your market is. Avinash pointed especially to the ‘Atlas Institute Study’ from Microsoft during the SMX / eMetrics Toronto 2010 event.
- Understand the length of time that it takes to convert a visitor. By doing this you will understand how to structure the main landing pages. If the visitor takes longer to convert you don’t need to go for the hard sell but should instead make offers to remind them of pricing, or encourage drip marketing to keep in the visitors consciousness.
Gaining A Better Understanding Of Your True Twitter Profile & Reach
- Social Media reach. Do you understand the true reach of your Tweets? Check out Klout and type in the user name of any Twitter use and this system will show the impact the user has in the tweeting world.
You can also see many of the finer statistics behind a users Twitter habits and also see trends.
To understand how the Klout score is calculated you can visit this page.
Sheesh – Avinash is putting us to shame!
- On the subject of understanding your Twitter reach Avinash Kaushik also pointed to Graph Edge as a tool that can truly show the reach of your Twitter profile. Some of the key features include:
- giving you an understanding of the true size of your network
- let’s you see if your network is growing
- who else your followers are following
Other Fun Notables
Avinash was rather casual and spoke his mind freely. He opened and closed the show referencing a Tweet he read earlier in the morning from someone that said they were excited to be seeing Avinash and would be ‘wearing his best boxers.; Yes folks – that person was our own Jon Dyer.
Another notable was his use of Bing as his preferred search engine during his speech. We like it too!
He concluded with a wonderful statement about those sites that don’t put emphasis in the content they are delivering visitors – “Bounce Rate – I came, I puked, I left”.
I’ve got lots more to add later on and will include my own commentary – where I can help out progress the thought that is!
A long day and lots more fun to be had tomorrow!