Video advertising has become an integral part of modern marketing strategies. According to a study by HubSpot, 91% of businesses now use video as a marketing tool, while 96% of marketers see Video as a crucial component of their marketing.
Video ads are powerful because they can tell a story, convey emotions, and grab the viewer’s attention in a way other forms of advertising cannot. However, with the rise of video ads, the competition has also become fierce, and it’s essential to create ads that stand out and engage viewers.
In this article, we’ll look at eight tips and tricks for creating engaging video ads.
Why Video Ads Are Important
Before we dive into the tips, let’s first look at why video ads are so important.
Video advertising is a form of digital advertising that uses video content to promote a product, service, or brand. Video ads can be displayed on social media platforms, websites, and other digital channels.
Here are some reasons why video ads are essential for your business:
- Video ads can increase brand awareness and visibility.
- Video ads can generate leads and drive sales.
- Video ads can increase engagement and build trust with your audience.
- Video ads are more memorable than other forms of advertising.
- Video ads can provide valuable information to your audience in an entertaining way.
- Video ads can be easily shared on social media platforms, increasing their reach.
- Video ads can be targeted to specific audiences, making them more effective.
- Video ads are becoming increasingly popular and are expected to dominate digital advertising.
Video ads are an excellent format to help convey a brand’s story, a sales pitch’s information, or the hook point of a particular idea or concept.
Different Types of Video Ads
Now that we understand why video ads are important, let’s look at the different types of video ads you can use in your marketing campaigns.
- In-Stream Ads: In-stream ads are video ads that play before, during, or after the main video content on a website or social media platform.
- Non-Linear Ads: Non-linear ads are video ads that are displayed alongside or over the main video content. They can be interactive and clickable.
- Bumper Ads: Bumper ads are short, non-skippable ads that are displayed before or after the main video content.
- Rewarded Ads: Rewarded ads are video ads that offer the viewer a reward, such as access to exclusive content or a discount, in exchange for watching the ad.
- FB and Instagram Video Ads: Video ads on Facebook and Instagram can be displayed in various formats, including in-feed videos, stories, and carousel ads.
How to Make an Effective Video Ad
If you want to create a compelling video ad, you need to follow a step-by-step process to make it stand out and catch people’s interest. To get started, follow the steps below:
- Grab attention quickly: The first few seconds of your video ad are crucial for capturing your audience’s attention. Use attention-grabbing visuals, music, or bold text to hook your viewers and make them want to watch more.
- Tell a story: Storytelling is a powerful way to create an emotional connection with your audience. Use a narrative structure that evokes emotion and builds tension, ultimately leading to a satisfying conclusion or call to action.
- Keep it short and sweet: Attention spans are short, so keep your video ads concise and to the point. Try to convey your message in 15-30 seconds or less.
- Showcase your product or service: Show, don’t tell. Use visuals and demonstrations to showcase the benefits and features of your product or service.
- Use humour or surprise: Humor and surprise can effectively engage your audience and make your video stand out. However, be careful not to offend your viewers with inappropriate content.
- Add a call to action: End your video ad with a clear call to action, such as visiting your website or making a purchase. Make it easy for your viewers to take the next step.
- Optimize for mobile: With more people watching videos on their mobile devices, it’s essential to optimize your video ads for mobile viewing. Use vertical or square formats to ensure your ad is easy to view and navigate on a small screen.
- Test and iterate: Continuously test and optimize your video ads based on audience feedback, engagement metrics, and performance data. Use A/B testing to try different variations and find what works best for your audience.
So far, we have discussed the different types of video ads and how to make effective video ads for our brands. Let’s look at some of the best video ads that have existed in the last few years to see what makes a video ad great.
Nike: “Dream Crazy”
Nike’s “Dream Crazy” campaign, which debuted in 2018, is a great example of a modern video ad that creates an emotional connection with the viewer. The ad features Colin Kaepernick, a former NFL quarterback known for his protests against racial injustice, and other athletes who have overcome adversity to achieve greatness. The ad’s message is about pursuing your dreams and not letting anyone hold you back, and it resonated with viewers who shared the video on social media and talked about it for weeks after its release.
The ad is great because it’s visually stunning, featuring footage of athletes performing incredible feats, and it delivers a powerful message that is relevant to current social issues. Nike also took a risk by featuring Kaepernick, who was a controversial figure at the time, and the ad generated a lot of media attention as a result.
Apple: “Share Your Gifts”
Apple’s “Share Your Gifts” ad, released in 2018, is a great example of a modern video ad that tells a story and showcases the brand’s values. The ad features a young woman who is hesitant to share her creative talents with the world but eventually does so and receives a positive response from her community. The ad’s message is about the power of creativity and the importance of sharing your gifts with others.
The ad is great because it’s beautifully animated, featuring a unique visual style that sets it apart from other ads. It also tells a compelling story that viewers can relate to, reinforcing Apple’s brand values of creativity, individuality, and community.
Old Spice: “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like”
Old Spice’s “The Man Your Man Could Smell Like” campaign, which debuted in 2010, is an excellent example of a modern video ad that uses humour to grab the viewer’s attention. The ad features a shirtless man who delivers a series of absurd and hilarious one-liners while showcasing various Old Spice products. The ad’s message is about the power of Old Spice to make men more attractive to women.
The ad is incredibly entertaining and memorable, featuring a character and catchphrases that became cultural touchstones. The ad also pokes fun at traditional masculinity and gender stereotypes, making it more relevant to younger audiences who are less likely to be swayed by conventional advertising techniques. The ad’s success also led to a series of follow-up ads featuring the same character, which helped to keep the brand top-of-mind for viewers.
Overall, these three examples demonstrate the power of modern video ads to create an emotional connection with viewers, tell compelling stories, showcase brand values, and use humour to grab attention. Each ad is great in its own way, and they all offer valuable lessons for brands looking to create effective video ads that resonate with audiences.
In a nutshell, a great video ad conveys a hook point properly while keeping viewers engaged in the video. Don’t forget to showcase a combination of emotional yet thought-provoking points. That way, you can catch the attention of different-minded viewers, leaving them intrigued to know more.
Need help with your video ads? We can take care of that! At TechWyse Internet Marketing, our expert team specializes in video marketing as well as a long list of other exclusive services, from PPC and social media management to SEO and creative design. Book an appointment and we will bring your business to the top! Call (416)-410-7090 or contact us here.